I hope you enjoyed yesterday's blog and got a sense of what steps you should add to your skin routine on a monthly, weekly and daily. If you missed it, you can check it out here.
Now on to day two. Today we're going to discuss what skin treatments you should perform on a weekly basis. Each of these should be done once per week. Depending on your skin care needs and/or goals, you may need to perform these more or less.
So let's break these down.......
Exfoliating your skin buffs away dead skin cells revealing fresh smooth skin underneath. You can exfoliate your skin with an exfoliating cream or scrub, exfoliating cloth or facial spin brush. You should exfoliate your face for no more than a minute. Any longer will cause irritation.
Face masks such as clay are used to treat oiliness or a hydrating mask can be applied to combat dryness. Skin appears vibrant and less oily or nicely moisturized. Face masks should be applied and left on your skin for 15 minutes. Leaving on for more than 15 minutes does not benefit the skin.
Face steaming has a plethora of benefits. If you haven't had a face steam yet, you're in for a real treat. Even if you haven't had one in a while, it's easy to get back on the bandwagon. Let's look at the benefits of face steaming.
- Cleanses impurities - opens up your pores allowing the release of dead skin cells, bacteria, dirt, and other impurities that clog pores.
- Reduces excess sebum - A facial steam helps to release trapped sebum oil as it opens the pores.
- Increases circulation - boost of blood flow nourishes your skin and delivers oxygen resulting in a natural, healthy glow.
- Hydrates and moisturizes - Facial steaming hydrates the skin and naturally moisturizes your face.
- Promotes collagen and elastin - Increased blood flow during a steam facial promotes collagen and elastin production. Resulting in firmer, younger-looking skin. Usually highly noticeable after a face steam.
- Boosts product absorption - following a facial steam the moisturizer or other skin product you apply penetrates deeper into the skin.
- Promotes relaxation - the feeling of warm steam on your face is very relaxing. It is a great time to focus on your breathing by taking slow deep breaths that will help you de-stress.
Typical steam lasts about 10 minutes, so its best to sit down while you do the treatment. However, keep in mind that you can receive many of the same benefits if you stop after 5 minutes.
Don't steam your face for much longer than 10 minutes, especially if you have acne or other skin issues. Steaming causes the face to swell, and it can exacerbate acne if done for longer than 10 minutes.
I hope you enjoyed today's blog on the treatments you should be performed on a weekly basis. In the next couple for blogs, we'll discuss the steps you should perform on a daily basis.
Have a comment or question? Leave it below and I'll be sure to reply.
Chat with you later!