Good morning Beauties!
This past Monday on Periscope, I discussed ways you can perform self care every day. The thing is, some are confused to think self care is only the habit of getting your hair or nails done. Or even buying skincare products or clothes. These are all great things to do, but not quite self care.
Self care is the act of doing things that brings peace to the mind and body. Self care is when you stop and remove yourself (physically or mentally) away for normal everyday cares and focus on being whole.
But often we are not able to fully engage in self care, so we have to get it in where we can fit it in. Did you know that when you engage in things that are good for your mind and body, it has a positive effect on your skin?
With that said, let's get some self care in everyday by trying some of these:
1. Walk away: Whether you work from home, the kids/grandchildren are running wild or hubby just made you side-eye him. Walking away and finding a spot where you can breathe through what you're dealing with, change your scenery or just feel like you are somewhere else is healthy for your mind and body. Grab your favorite beverage and enjoy the moment.
Take a look at the image for this blog. The woman is sitting in a chair and looking out her window. She even took her shoes off. This is a great example of just walking away and changing your view.
2. Play music: As a native New Yorker and the daughter of a drummer, music is in my blood, veins, just every fiber of my being. When I really want to do my mind and body some good, I listen to music I grew up with. I mean, all of those good memories start to flood my mind, making me feel so good, happy and makes me forget anything that was on my mind previously. Talk about natural high, lol.
3. Long baths or long showers: Sometimes the only time we can seem to get to ourselves (if you don't have babies) is the bathroom. Designate a day each week where you can take a long bath. This is another way you can destress, relax and breathe in a space of your own. If baths are not your thing, a long shower should do the trick. Plan ahead, wake up a few minutes earlier or take a shower at night where time is not short where you can allow extra time to let that warm water hit you. While you're in there, turn on some music and take it all in.
Another tip is to take a low light shower. If you can dim your bathroom lights, go for it! It really changes the experience. My closet is in my bathroom so I would just turn that light on and jump in the shower. I have since added tap lights that dim above my shower and they work wonderfully!
4. Guided meditation: This is something that I just started about a month ago and I am hooked! I'm one of those people who thinks too much, overthinks and somewhat a perfectionist. It is a daily challenge for me to just turn my mind off. So I embarked on a journey to find something that would help me. Doesn't the picture look like he's sleeping? This is how you'll look in deep meditation, lol.
5. Call up a friend: Simple right! This is something that you may do all of the time, but what about that friend you have not spoken to in a few weeks, months or possibly the past year. Why don't you give them a call to catch up and see how they're doing. This conversation will be different because most of the conversation will be new. You haven't spoken in a while so you will be all ears in listening to what they have to say and vice versa.
I hope these five tips are helpful. Whether you try one of these of others of your own, know that self care is needed. Even more so today than ever before. Don't take it for granted. Love yourself, listen to yourself and be good to yourself every single day.
Until next time,
@Georgina: My apologies for not seeing your comment sooner, but you’re right. We need self care more than ever now. There’s a lot going on in the world, our families and within ourselves that it can have a negative impact on our physical and mental health. Self care should be at the forefront of all our lives.
Keep doing things that centers and grounds you. It will benefit you and those who come in contact you.😉
This self care stuff is everywhere and we need it now more than ever. I will look into the guided meditation. Like you, I’m an over thinker and help quieting my mind. Pedicure for me because I just need someone to rub my feet. So dimmable tap lights…may look into this as a way to change the mood. I’m all about the ambiences.